The EDI Certificate Program will run January – September, 2023. Three tracks are available to contextualize the learning and application to Academic Affairs, Students Affairs, and Administration. Participants will complete core sessions (2 hours each) in their chosen track, three electives, and an experiential learning activity.
The certificate series concludes with a Theory to Action Project completed over the summer and shared with the certificate cohort in September. The Theory to Action project should demonstrate the learning and reflection that took place throughout the completion of the certificate's core and elective sessions. Examples of a Theory to Action Project are:
- A program for students
- An update in the curriculum (design or readings)
- Submission of an article for publication or conference presentation proposal
- A campus-wide or community presentation
- In-service training for faculty, staff, departmental colleagues, or students in one's area of work. Note: Redelivering an EDI Certificate Training course to one's own department does not count as a Theory to Action Project.
The selection process is designed to create a qualified, diverse, and inclusive participant group which enhances collaborative learning and reflects the scope of the University. A cohort group of 30 employees will be selected to participate through a competitive application process. Each participant must be an employee (faculty, staff, Graduate Assistant or Teaching Assistant) of the University with:
- Demonstrated interest in Equity, Diversity & Inclusion;
- Supervisor support for participation;
- Able and committed to actively participate in required sessions and electives, complete mini-assignments before and between sessions, and complete a Theory to Action project in Summer 2023.
Contact Betsy Staudt-Willet for notification when the next application period begins
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the courses in person?
The five Certificate courses will be offered live on Zoom. You must be present on Zoom for the first two. You may watch the recordings for two of the remaining three courses, as long as you do so before the following sessions. Electives may be in person, online, or hybrid.
How long are the Certificate courses?
The Certificate courses are two hours in length.
How much time does the Certificate Series require?
Expect to spend 5-6 hours per month, January through April. In the summer months, you will choose your experiential learning activity and have the option to make it long/extensive; expect a minimum 4 hours (2hrs minimum for the event/activity, and time on either end to set it up and write about it). Similarly, the scope of the Theory to Action Project will depend on you, and while there will be a couple check-ins on the project via discussion posts, you will be able to work on the project all at once if you so choose. If you spread the work out evenly, plan on 5 hours per month over the summer for the Theory to Action Project.