What is Pride Month?
Pride Month occurs in the United States to commemorate the Stonewall Riots which occurred at the end of June 1969. The Stonewall Riots, also called the Stonewall Uprising, began in the early hours of June 28, 1969 when New York City police raided the Stonewall Inn, a gay club located in Greenwich Village in New York City. The raid sparked an uprising among bar patrons and neighborhood residents, leading to six days of protests and violent clashes with law enforcement outside the bar on Christopher Park. The Stonewall Uprising served as a catalyst for the gay rights movement in the United States and around the world. June 28th, 1969 was not the start of LGBTQ+ liberation but many mark that day as a turning point in the struggle for equality for people who identify as LGBTQ+.
The anniversary of the events at Stonewall Inn were, initially, memorialized only in large cities but started to gain momentum and increased amplification in the 1990s. Small gatherings of reflection turned into massive parades and celebrations, which now characterize the ceremonial month, eventually leading to a presidential declaration of June as LGBT Pride Month and widespread recognition. Three U.S presidents have officially declared June Pride month, including the most recent proclamation from the White House, issuing A Proclamation on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Pride Month, 2021.
Campus & Community Events:
- 2022 Tallahassee Pridefest Drag Pageant
- Saturday, June 11, 2022 @ 6:00pm
- FSU Foundation ED&I Committee PRIDE Lunch
- Wednesday, June 22 @ 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Queer As Faust Festival
- June 1 – July 1
- Celebrate Pride Month in Tallahassee By Visit Tallahassee
- Library Lecture Series: The Queens’ English: A Conversation with Chloe O. Davis- Monday, June 14 at 6:30 p.m.
- Young (Adult) at Heart Book Club- Tuesday, June 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- Mystery Book Club through ZOOM- June 17 at 6:30 p.m.
- Pride in STEM: Rainbows, Prisms & Lights Oh My! with FSU’s National MagLab- June 24 at 6:30 p.m.
- Pride Month Live Fierce Take Action Community Conversation on Mental Well-Being and Health Equity
- Wednesday, June 29, 2022 @ 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- USC Pride Month
- 2022 Morgan Stanley Asia LGBT + Allies Virtual Coffee Chat- Tuesday, June 28, @ 7:30pm – 9:40pm
- RAIN Pride Month Virtual Panel and Celebration
- Thursday, June 16, @ 2:30pm – 4:30pm
- Our Heroes and Impacts
- Friday, June 24 @ 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Resources for the LGBTQ+ Community:
- The Family Tree: LGBT Community Center
- Pride Student Union
- The Trevor Project
- Mental Health Resources to Support the LGBTQ+ Community
- 24 Virtual Pride Month Ideas for Work in 2022
- Pride Month and Mental Health & How PushCare Supports the LGBTQ Community